What’s up Flo? Tell Me More About Progressive Car Insurance Coverages
Most of us know about Progressive Insurance from those somewhat annoying but memorable commercials with Flo.
Here’s Flo with Sasquatch. In this one, Sasquatch complaining that campers are too busy worried about their RVs to take pictures of him.
Today, Progressive is the fourth largest insurer in the United States and has over 37,000 employees. The company is widely recognized as one of the best insurers in the world. According to Progressive.com, over 20 million drivers across the country have Progressive auto insurance.
And, it’s big. Progressive was ranked 46th on the Forbes 500 list in 2019.
But, let’s stop the resume nonsense and get into the fun stuff – Progressive’s car insurance coverage (read with a sarcastic tone).
I think Progressive actually does a nice job of outlining its coverages. It’ website breaks auto coverage down into three categories:
- Coverages for someone else’s injuries and vehicle
- Coverage options for your injuries and vehicle
- Extra coverages and benefits
I think it’s helpful to think about car insurance using this outline, so let’s use it to walk through Progressive’s coverage.
1. Progressive Insurance for When You’re at Fault in an Accident
This type of coverage is known as Liability Insurance. It covers you when you’re at fault in an accident and almost every state requires it.
Say for example that you take your eyes off the road for a second. Bad move. That causes you to accidentally slam into the car in front of you. If that action causes injury to others or damage to their car, you’ll want to have liability insurance.
Progressive offers the following liability insurance policies:
- Bodily injury liability: Helps pay the medical bills and lost income of the other person involved. It also covers any legal fees that might arise.
- Property damage liability: Covers some of the damages you caused to the other person’s car.
2. Progressive Insurance for Your Car and Injuries
Now things get a little more complicated. Most of these coverages optional. But, you’ll want to consider them.
Progressive breaks down protections for your car and injuries into the following categories:
- Comprehensive: Let’s face it. We can’t control what we can’t control. Comprehensive coverage covers everything, but the kitchen sink. Hitting a deer? Check. Theft? Check. Fire? Check. Tree falls on your car? Check. Whatever the damage, Progressive will pick up the bill after you pay your deductible.
- Collision: Do you have bad driving habits? If you have a tendency of driving into other cars, collision coverage is probably right for you. It helps cover the cost to repair or replace your damaged car if you hit another object, including vehicles. Most importantly, it doesn’t matter if you’re at fault. Finally, if you’re a pet lover and it’s injured in an accident, Progressive will cover your vet bill your vet expenses up to a specified limit.
- Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist: Some motorists aren’t as responsible as the rest of us and drive around without enough insurance or no insurance at all. If you’re in an accident and the at-fault driver is one of those irresponsible drivers, you could be left holding the entire bill for your injuries or to fix your car. But, if you have Uninsured or Underinsured motorist coverage, it will help you pay the bill.
- Medical Payments: If you are involved in an accident, medical payments will cover any medical and funeral expenses up to a specified limit. It will also pay medical bills for your family members or passengers no matter who the at-fault driver is. Finally, this coverage will also protect your wallet if you or your family members are passengers in another vehicle, or even hit while walking on the side of the street.
3. Extra Coverages and Benefits Offered by Progressive Insurance
My first reaction to these next coverages was that they are a bit over the top.
With some time to think more about it, I actually think some of them are worth it if you have the extra cash. Let’s review what they got.
- Roadside Assistance: I was on a work trip to Dallas a few years back. I got off the plane at about 11:00 PM at night. and was exhausted. Anyway, I got in my Uber and was just about to exit the airport when we caught a flat (tire). It took us an hour to change the tire. Granted, I wasn’t experienced with changing tires, and neither was my Uber driver apparently. If we had Roadside Assistance from Progressive, it would have made all difference. Roadside Assistance assists you if you’re stranded on the road. If your vehicle breaks down for any reason, whether on the road or in your driveway, Progressive’s Roadside Assistance pays for a towing service. Other services include the aforementioned flat-tire change, lock-out service, or fuel/fluid delivery if you run out of gas.
- Loan/lease payoff: Do you lease your car? I’d consider this extra if you do. Let’s say you total your car. Loan/lease payoff will cover the difference between what your car is worth and what you owe on your lease.
- Rental Car reimbursement: I hate driving rental cars. I just hold my hands at 10 and 2 and pray I don’t get into the accident. If I that unfortunate in If your car is involved in a covered accident, Progressive will pay you to rent a replacement while your vehicle is in at the mechanic shop. However, Progressive only pays for a covered accident; they do not pay for routine maintenance.
- Custom Parts and Equipment Value: This one is for all the Fast and the Furious fans out there. It pays for damage to custom parts and equipment, including stereo systems, fancy tires and new rims.
- Rideshare Coverage: If you work for a rideshare company you already know they offer some insurance options. But, they don’t cover you unless you’re driving a customer. Progressive’s rideshare policy can help. It extends your personal auto coverage to when you’re logged into the ridesharing app, but not transporting a customer.
- Deductible Savings Bank: Progressive deductible savings bank feature helps to pay your deductible. This feature will remove $50 from your comprehensive and collision deductible for every claim-free policy period. This policy lasts six months.
4. Progressive Auto Insurance: What’s It Cost?
It’s pretty easy to get a quote online. It takes about 10 minutes. You just need to go to Progressive.com and answer a short questionnaire. The questions range from where you live to what you car you drive to what you do for work.
I filled out a form to get a quote for my 2018 Jeep Cherokee.
Here is my quote for a 6-month package. I added all the additional coverages just to see how much they cost.
If you can’t read that, here’s a summary of the coverages:
- Total cost for a 6-month package: $448
- Coverage type breakdown:
- Liability Coverage: $274
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist: $9
- Medical Payments: $5
- Comprehensive: $27
- Collision: $104
- Rental: $13
- Roadside Assistance: $5
- Loan/Lease Payoff: $11
You’ll have to do the work to see how much your car insurance will cost, but the average cost generally ranges anywhere from $100 to $250 per month.
5. Progressive’s Car Insurance Discounts Can Save You Money
According to Progressive’s website, its drivers save over $750 on average. Its insurance discount offers are a big part of the reason why.
Here are some of the discounts. Each one decreases your car insurance premium.
- Multi-policy: Save if you have two or policies with Pogregressive.
- Continuous insurance: Save money when switch to Progressive and you spent a long time with your previous insurance company.
- Multi-car: Do you have more than one car on your policy? If so, you’ll save some money.
- Good student: Add a student with a B average or better and save.
- Distant student: Save money for a student that lives 100 miles away from you.
- Automatic payment: Set up auto payments and save cash.
- Online quote: Get a discount if you get your quote here
- Homeowner: Save money for owning your home.
- Paperless documents: Go green and save.
- Sign online: e-Sign your documents and save.
- Teen driver: Save if you add a teen driver that’s 18 years old or younger to your policy.
- Pay-in-full: Get a discount for paying your 6-month policy upfront.