Why Embrace Pet Insurance is Right for Your Dog
Choosing a pet insurance company is both important and challenging. If you’re a pet parent, you probably make more vet visits then you’d like. Unexpected but relatively common vet bills can run from $400 for a bite wound or x-ray to $3000 or more for ligament injuries.
Dog owners have several pet insurance providers and pet insurance policy choices to help to defray these costs and keep their pets healthy. But, where does one start?
Embrace Pet Insurance offers a great pet insurance policy that includes comprehensive coverage, unique wellness plans, and diminishing deductible options for a variety of pets, including dogs.
This article will cover the main features of Embrace’s offering, such as coverage, discounts and deductibles, routine care plans, and how Embrace compares with similar pet insurance companies.
What Does Embrace Cover?
Whether the result of broken bones or sudden illnesses, unexpected trips to the vet are part of every dog owner’s life. Embrace’s comprehensive “nose-to-tail” insurance reimburses up to 90 percent of bills for the following conditions and treatments:
- Accidents (examples: a broken leg, swallowing a foreign object)
- Alternative therapies and rehabilitation (examples: hydrotherapy, acupuncture)
- Behavioral therapy (examples: therapy for unwanted digging, therapy for aggressive behavior)
- Breed-specific and genetic conditions (examples: hip dysplasia, congenital hypothyroidism)
- Cancer (examples: osteosarcoma, lymphoma)
- Chronic conditions (examples: allergies, arthritis)
- Dental illnesses, available in some states, up to $1000 per year (examples: chipped teeth, periodontal disease)
- Diagnostic testing (examples: biopsies, fecal exams)
- Emergency veterinary care (examples: swallowed objects, uncontrollable fever)
- Hospitalization and surgery (examples: medical waste fees, anesthesia, rehab)
- Illnesses (examples: viral diseases, kennel cough)
- Prosthetics and mobility devices (examples: required surgery, carts and wheelchairs)
- Veterinary specialist care (examples: ophthalmologists, oncologists)
- Take-home prescription medications, optional in some states (examples: allergy medication, insulin)
In addition to the above, Embrace Pet Insurance includes exam fees (also called consultation fees). Exam fees can be over $100 but are part of Embrace’s comprehensive coverage.
Embrace & Pre-existing Conditions
Like most other insurers, Embrace doesn’t cover routine care, such as breeding or pregnancy. Things like deliberate injuries, tail docking, and other cosmetic procedures, or avian flu are also not covered. See their website for a full list.
Embrace doesn’t cover pre-existing conditions. Pre-existing are “any injury, illness, or irregularity noticed by you or your veterinarian before the end of your waiting period.” This includes conditions for which the pet has never been treated or examined.
Having said that, Embrace does distinguish between curable pre-existing conditions and those that are incurable. Most pet insurance companies don’t do this. It is one of the many areas where Embrace stands out!
For example, pre-existing conditions like respiratory infections or diarrhea can be classified as pre-existing. If your pet has one of these conditions, they can get coverage if they’re symptom-free without treatment for one year.
After enrolling your pet, you can request a medical history review for more information.
Save With Discounts & Deductibles
Embrace offers several discounts and deductibles to make insuring pets more affordable.
- Healthy Pet Deductible. Embrace offers a unique Healthy Pet Deducible, included at no cost, that provides a $50 reduction in the annual deductible for each reimbursement-free year of accident and illness claims. For example, if a policy owner has no claims for two years, two $50 credits are applied to the deductible, one in each year. If, in the third year, the owner has a claim of $500, a total of $100 Healthy Pet Deductible credit will be applied toward the deductible. At that point, the Healthy Pet Deductible reverts to zero until the next year.
- 10% multiple pet discount. Owners insuring more than one pet will get a 10% discount for insuring multiple pets with Embrace. (Note that this discount is 5 percent in New York and Rhode Island.)
- 10% employee benefits discount. A 10 percent employee benefits discount may be available at some companies that partner with Embrace or for staff at veterinary practices where Embrace is promoted. Company and vet Human Resource managers can let owners know if they qualify. (Note that this discount is 5 percent in Tennessee, and it is not available in Florida, Hawaii, North Dakota, and Rhode Island.)
- New York discounts. Finally, state-specific discounts for New York policyholders include a 5 percent ACH discount, 5 percent annual pay discount, and 5 percent spay/neuter discount.
Wellness Rewards: Preventive Care For Your Dog
Even though routine care is not part of accident and illness coverage, you can purchase Embrace’s preventative care plan, Wellness Rewards, to help with grooming and other routine costs.
Examples of reimbursable items include but are not limited to toenail trimming, wellness exams, training, nutritional supplements, teeth cleaning, and preventatives for fleas, ticks, and heartworm.
Three Wellness Rewards plans are available: $250 yearly allowance, $450 annual allowance, and $650 annual allowance. These plans can be changed after each renewal period to meet the needs of growing or aging pets. There is no copay for wellness clams, and the Wellness Rewards program is charged separately from accident and illness policies.
What About Routine Care?
Costs of routine care
Even the healthiest pets have costs related to routine care, such as wellness visits, spaying and neutering, and vaccinations. Pet owners can expect to pay about $350 for adult dogs per year and $700 for the first year of owning a puppy.
Routine care plan comparisons
Embrace’s Wellness Rewards plan compares favorably to similar programs offered by Nationwide, Pets Best, and ASPCA Pet Health Insurance. Only Embrace offers flexible rather than fixed or preset reimbursement. While other plans place cost limits per item, Embrace offers yearly allowance amounts (see the section above).
Embrace vs. Other Pet Insurance Options
If you’ve been looking for a pet healthcare policy, I’m sure you’ve come across Embrace’s competitors.
So how does Embrace compare with other pet insurance companies Insurance companies like Healthy Paws, Trupanion, Nationwide, and Pets Best? Well, it stacks up pretty well.
As you can see in the table above, only Embrace offers all of the following features:
- Flexible wellness plan
- Exam fees included in your coverage
- Coverage for alternative therapies and behavioral care
- 24/7 pet health line
- 14-day illness waiting period
- Coverage for preventable conditions
- Option for medical history review
- Diminishing deductible plan
- Single comprehensive policy
How To Get a Quote
It’s pretty simple. You can request a coverage quote by filling out an online form.
COVID-19 information For Embrace Policyholders
Embrace is not experiencing changes in hours or services during the COVID-19 pandemic. However, to avoid delays during this time, policyholders should use their MyEmbrace online account or Embrace Pet Insurance app for claims, and other policy matters.